Problem Accessing PostgreSQL from Perl CGI

From: ryan miller <ryemiller(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem Accessing PostgreSQL from Perl CGI
Date: 2005-11-17 23:53:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello all,

I'm trying to access my Postgres data base in perl Using DBI->connect

DBI connect('dbname=visualizer','visualizer',...) failed: could not connect
to server: Permission denied

A few important things to note:
1) I've checked the permissions on both the /tmp directory and the socket
file, and both are 777 (wide open)
2) I am able to access the database from php using pg_connect
3) I can access Postgres with DBI->connect when I run the perl script from
the command line, it's when
I try to access Postgres from the perl CGI in a web application that I get
this message
4) I have the following in my pg_hba.conf file:

local all all md5
host all all 0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> 0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> md5
I think this should allow anyone to access any database from any ip address
using md5 -- correct me if I'm wrong.

5) I added apache to the appropriate group to make sure apache has
permission to the proper files

I have changed every permission I can think of, short of chmod 777 -R /
I'm about out of ideas.

I don't think it is a version incompatibility since everything works fine
from the command line, but just in case here are the versions

Postgres: 4.7.4
Perl 5.8.5

Thank you for your consideration,
RYan Miller