Re: Minimum supported version of Python?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Minimum supported version of Python?
Date: 2014-03-25 20:54:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2014-03-25 15:08:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> It's 100% reproducible on prairiedog, which is a Mac Cube running Tiger,
>> and using the version of python that came with Tiger (2.3.5 :-(). It
>> seems not impossible that we're looking at a long-since-fixed python
>> bug, but the fact that that specific commit made it appear or disappear
>> is troubling.

> Yea, agreed.

> If there's a refcounting bug inside python somewhere (which is easy to
> trigger in python's C interface), it could be excerbated by that change,
> since it frees/compiles functions more frequently. But I'd very much
> like more evidence of this...

I think it's not a refcount issue, or at least not solely that. As best
I can tell, there's a stack clobber involved, because gdb can't make sense
of the stack after the exception hits. I've been trying to localize it
more closely, but it's slow going because Apple's copy of python doesn't
include debug symbols.