Re: Oracle compatibility ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle compatibility ...
Date: 2004-07-10 05:09:29
Lists: pgsql-patches

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hans-J=FCrgen_Sch=F6nig?= <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> [ patch to support MINUS as a synonym for EXCEPT ]

I can't agree with doing this. MINUS is not a reserved word according
to SQL99, so supporting Oracle's syntax reduces our spec compatibility
by a visible amount. And for what? The behavior is *exactly* the same,
and all recent versions of Oracle accept the SQL-standard spelling
EXCEPT.

I counsel telling your customer to fix his application. A quick
s/MINUS/EXCEPT/g on his part won't cost anything.