Re: fix crash with Python 3.11

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fix crash with Python 3.11
Date: 2022-06-21 16:33:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is it time yet to back-patch 2e517818f ("Fix SPI's handling of errors
during transaction commit")? We know we're going to have to do it
before Python 3.11 ships, and it's been stable in HEAD for 3.5 months
now. Also, the Fedora guys absorbed the patch a couple weeks ago [1]
because they're already using 3.11 in rawhide, and I've not heard
complaints from that direction.

My inclination at this point is to not back-patch the second change
12d768e70 ("Don't use static storage for SaveTransactionCharacteristics").
It's not clear that the benefit would be worth even a small risk of
somebody being unhappy about the API break.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BHKMWMY_e2otmTJDjKUAvC8Urh4rzSWOPZ%3DfszU5brkBP97ng%40mail.gmail.com