Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date: 2024-03-16 20:10:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> On Alpine Linux, which uses musl libc, you have to run `make install`
> before you can run `make check`. Have you tried that?

We have the same situation on macOS. There, it seems to be the result
of a "security feature" that strips DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH from the process
environment when make executes a shell. There's not much we can do
about that, and I suspect there is not much we can do about musl's
behavior either. (I am not a fan of proposals to modify the binaries
under test, because then you are not testing what you intend to
install.)