Re: [NOVICE] [OT] How to avoid using Reply-All on this list

From: "Anthony E(dot) Greene" <agreene(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] [OT] How to avoid using Reply-All on this list
Date: 2000-06-02 15:11:24
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-novice

At 09:41 2000-06-02 -0500, al wrote:
>what a load!
>
>the solution is to FIX ONE LIST SERVER
>not RIG A THOUSAND PROCMAILS
>
>what a backwards solution

It has one advantage over the one you advocate (and which I tried): it works.

>when something is setup wrong you fix it
>dont adjust EVERYTHING ELSE

You assume, incorrectly, that such a fix has not been attempted.

>are you a MS programmer?

Actually I'm someone who has already posted just such a suggestion and not
received a response.

I am subscribed to several lists where there is no Reply-To header. I could
spend a lot of time trying to convince the list owners and perhaps get a
consensus of influential subscribers for each list to support a change, or
I could do what I did; make a suggestion, then fix my own problem with 10
minutes of coding and testing and move on to productive work.

Sometimes there is a reason the list is configured without a Reply-To,
whether I agree with that reason or not. In those cases, a local fix is the
only practical solution.

Rather than composing such a well considered response to my post, your time
would have been better spent trying to get the list owners to change the
lists. I sincerely hope you succeed.

If you do, I'll send you the addresses of the other lists I know of that
are similarly configured. If you don't want to spend your time trying to
fix all those lists, I know of a procmail recipe that will do the trick...

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <agreene(at)pobox(dot)com>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D