Re: Accessing the database

From: "Jan T(dot) Kim" <kim(at)mpiz-koeln(dot)mpg(dot)de>
To: Pragati Sagar <pragatis(at)sapientinfotech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Accessing the database
Date: 2000-06-02 15:19:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 04:35:29PM +0530, Pragati Sagar wrote:
> Hi!
> I connecting the postgreSQL database through the following code:
>
> <?
> $conn=pg_connect("<IP address>","<port>","","","<database>");
> $index=pg_exec($conn,"select * from table1");
> ?>
>
> On execution of this code from the browser, following error appears :
>
> Warning: PostgresSQL query failed: ERROR: table1: Permission denied. in
> /home/httpd/html/script.php3 on line 8
>
> Where am I going wrong? Does the code have a problem or there is something
> wrong with the permissions.

A quick guess: Maybe you have not created a postgres user called "httpd" (or
"nobody", "daemon" etc., depending on your operating system). PHP scripts
run under the UID of the web server, which usually is not the same as
your personal account.

So, you can either create a httpd user in postgres, or alternatively, I
think that pg_connect() in PHP also offers a way to specify your username
and password as parameters (check out the PHP docs on the PostgreSQL
functions for details).

HTH.

Greetinx & have a nice weekend,
Jan
| email: kim(at)mpiz-koeln(dot)mpg(dot)de |
| WWW: http://www.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~kim/ |
*-----=< hierarchical systems are for files, not for humans >=-----*