[OT] How to avoid using Reply-All on this list

From: "Anthony E(dot) Greene" <agreene(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [OT] How to avoid using Reply-All on this list
Date: 2000-06-02 10:22:08
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-novice

If you don't have access to procmail and formail on your mail server, you
can ignore this message.

When I post to lists that don't add a Reply-To header to list messages,
repliers often use the Reply-All function of their mail client. This sends
one reply to the list and another to me. I dislike getting multiple copies.

If I'm sending a reply to a list message, I almost always want to send a
single copy to the list address. I don't want to take the time to
copy/paste or type the list address. I don't want to use Reply-All because
I don't want the original poster to have to deal with multiple copies (see
preceding paragraph).

So I need a way to have my mail client act as if the message had a Reply-To
header. Solution: Add the Reply-To header before I get the mail. The
following procmail recipe that does exactly that. Th recipe will work
whether you read your mail on the server or via POP3.

# Add a Reply-To header to pgsql list messages.
:0
{
:0 f
| formail -a "Reply-To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org"

# Uncomment the following if filtering to a file/folder.
#:0:
#path/to/mailfile
}

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <agreene(at)pobox(dot)com>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D