Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver

From: Sbragion Denis <infotecn(at)tin(dot)it>
To: Bruce Tong <zztong(at)laxmi(dot)ev(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Driver
Date: 1998-07-23 06:39:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

At 13.11 22/07/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Since I hadn't specified any sorting, the "order by" part of the message
>had me confused. I decided to have MS Access show me the SQL it had
>generated:
>
>SELECT contact.contact_lname, contact.contact_fname, school.school_name
>FROM contact INNER JOIN school ON contact.contact_school =
>school.school_id;
>
>If I remember correctly, INNER JOIN is not yet supported in PostgreSQL,
>which would explain the failure. Sorry to have accused the failure on the
>ODBC driver. While some people's ignorance is bliss, mine thrashes. At
>least now I know what a $#(at)!% INNER JOIN is. ;)

Are you sure this is the cause of the problem? I have been able to perform
INNER JOIN queries (and even outer joins) using Visual Basic 5.0 without
problems even if pgsql doesn't support them. The undelrying Jet database
engine performs the join using simpler queries. Things are pretty slow, but
it works. As far as I know Access should use the same Jet database engine
so things should be the same.

Any hint here?

ByX!

Dr. Sbragion Denis