Odbc and Visual Basic

From: Sbragion Denis <infotecn(at)tin(dot)it>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Odbc and Visual Basic
Date: 1998-04-27 08:26:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

first of all my compliments to Byron for the upcoming new ODBC driver.
Really good job. Now a little request.
One of the things that prevents wider use of PostODBC under Visual Basic
(at least v. 5.0) is the lack of a good index support in the ODBC driver
itself. Visual Basic requires that at least one unique index should be
available on a table to allow updates. Currently this is circumvented using
an Access database with all the tables linked in it and specifying at the
Access level wich is the unique key for the tables. Anyway, to use the
Visual Basic ODBCDirect functionality true index support is required to
allow udpates. Is it difficult to implement it ?
I saw there's a similar problem also in the OpenLink Postgres ODBC driver.
To implement the index functionality they used a dummy table with a special
procedure (buggy! I had to modify it myself to make it work) that took the
index list from the postgres system tables an put them in the dummy table.
Then, after running such procedure, the driver was able to report the index
list to Visual Basic. Of course the procedures needed to be run again every
time a new index was added. Things didn't work anyway because of other bugs
in the OpenLink drivers, but this is another story.
I think that if exists a procedure to put the index list in a table it
should exists also a procedure to get them directly from the Postgres
system tables and report them through the driver.
Of course I'm ready to help and give any further information to help
implementing this ODBC functionality. I can also perform any test needed to
help developing it and, if needed, I can also try to find some little spare
time to help coding things.

Let me know.

Bye!

Dr. Sbragion Denis