RE: [HACKERS] --enable-debug

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] --enable-debug
Date: 2000-01-26 18:13:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 01:10 PM 1/26/00 +0200, Ansley, Michael wrote:
>When I initially mentioned this, I had tried to debug, only to find that
>there were no symbols. So I tried the standard autoconf option, which is
>--enable-debug, to get some symbols. I'm not particularly concerned about
>--cassert, but --enable-debug is the standard autoconf option, and most
>people (developers) are aware of it. If it's just a synonym for --cassert,
>well, I don't really care. I just want some symbols to debug with. I
>landed up fixing it by setting
>CC=gcc -g -Wall

gmake COPT="-g" all (after a clean) worked for me...that leave -O2 on,
though. Gcc seems to do a reasonably good job anyway.

We are doing -Wall on Linux, BTW, in case there's any doubt (Tom mentioned
it was used on his platform but I think he's an HP-UX kinda guy). At
least, when I do a make on my RH 6.1 box with the current sources "-Wall"
is on.

http://donb.photo.net.