Re: Additional Notes

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: danielr(at)neophi(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Additional Notes
Date: 2023-11-15 18:05:05
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, 2023-11-15 at 17:38 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/sql-notify.html
>
> It would be good to add to the notes section that use of NOTIFY especially
> within a TRIGGER requires an AccessExclusiveLock which may cause performance
> issues. Old thread for reference:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3598.1363354686%40sss.pgh.pa.us

I don't see what this has to do with triggers. Even deferred triggers run
*before* this notify lock is taken.

The only possibility I see for such a lock to be held for a long time is if
COMMIT spends a long time waiting for a reply from a synchronous standby
server. Is that your problem?

I don't think that would require special documentation, because if your
synchronous standby does not respond in time, you normally have worse
problems than NOTIFY performance.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe