Re: Patch rev 2: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Patch rev 2: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-20 12:11:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM, David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM, David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why would they want more? It's not MySQL, and they know that. If we give
>>> them some very minor helpful hints for the most common things they try to
>>> do, it would be a huge benefit to them. I know I've badly wanted the
>>> opposite when I've had to use MySQL, but I don't expect MySQL to implement
>>> \c for me.
>>
>> +1.  I think this is a well-thought out proposal.  I like Tom's
>> suggestion upthread for how to handle \c.
>
> I've attached a second revision of this patch incorporating the various
> feedback I've received.
>
>> Although the deadline for patches for 8.5 has supposedly already
>> passed....
>
> Yeah, I realized this after I scratched my itch, and had just thought I
> would send to the list any way for after the CF; you can commit or bump as
> needed.  Patch enclosed as a context-diff attachment this time.
>
> Regards,
>
> David
> --
> David Christensen
> End Point Corporation
> david(at)endpoint(dot)com

Although I have a snowballs chance in hell to convert my coworkers to
using pg I think that this patch would make such an outcome more
likely. Please consider what a MySQL dba does when he gets a call at
3AM that a server
(p3.any43.db69.I_have_no_clue_what_this_stupid_f'ing_server_is.wtf.pg
) is at max-connections. I think that some helpful hints for non-pg
dba's that are using pg in some capacity are a very good idea.

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com