Patch rev 2: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Patch rev 2: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-20 00:01:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 19, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM, David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com
> > wrote:
>> Why would they want more? It's not MySQL, and they know that. If we
>> give them some very minor helpful hints for the most common things
>> they try to do, it would be a huge benefit to them. I know I've
>> badly wanted the opposite when I've had to use MySQL, but I don't
>> expect MySQL to implement \c for me.
>
> +1. I think this is a well-thought out proposal. I like Tom's
> suggestion upthread for how to handle \c.

I've attached a second revision of this patch incorporating the
various feedback I've received.

> Although the deadline for patches for 8.5 has supposedly already
> passed....

Yeah, I realized this after I scratched my itch, and had just thought
I would send to the list any way for after the CF; you can commit or
bump as needed. Patch enclosed as a context-diff attachment this time.

Regards,

David
--
David Christensen
End Point Corporation

Attachment Content-Type Size
mysql-help.patch application/octet-stream 1.5 KB