Native Win32 port - PLEASE!

From: ajmayo(at)my-deja(dot)com (Andrew Mayo)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Native Win32 port - PLEASE!
Date: 2004-03-26 10:28:10
Lists: pgsql-general

PLEASE .... can we have the native Win32 port SOON.

It will totally and utterly hurt Microsoft in a very important area to
have this port. Why?

Well, many of you will know that MS give away a cut-down version of
SQL Server (MSDE) and this is bundled with a *lot* of Win32 apps.

Now, MSDE is pretty good, though it is a nightmare to upgrade, for
various reasons - but there are fishhooks in the license agreement
that worry a lot of people - particularly, a clause about replication
that could be interpreted in ways that would suddenly require users to
pay MS large wads of cash.

And MSDE is deliberately crippled; five concurrent users, max 2G
database size.

Many vendors (including the one I work for) would be very very very
interested in looking at PostgreSQL as an alternative BUT it NEEDS to
run natively on Windows (not via Cygwin)

If it did, I can see real inroads being made into 'mindspace' here and
a huge increase in PostgreSQL usage - it would become ubiquitous as a
21st century database - and porting to Win32 therefore helps, not
hinders, the open source movement.

So can I quietly beg the Win32 group to expedite this port. I believe
you will be utterly astonished at the demand. Please.....