Re: On /*----- comments

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On /*----- comments
Date: 2023-07-03 08:48:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 30 Jun 2023, at 17:22, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Seems reasonable; the trailing dashes eat a line without adding much.

+1

> Should we also provide specific guidance about how many leading dashes
> to use for this? I vaguely recall that pgindent might only need one,
> but I think using somewhere around 5 to 10 looks better.

There are ~50 different lenghts used when looking at block comments from line 2
(to avoid the file header comment) and onwards in files, the ones with 10 or
more occurrences are:

145 /*----------
78 /*------
76 /*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
37 /*----------------------------------------------------------
29 /*------------------------
23 /*----------------------------------------------------------------
22 /*--------------------
21 /*----
15 /*---------------------------------------------------------------------
14 /*--
13 /*-------------------------------------------------------
13 /*---
12 /*----------------------

10 leading dashes is the clear winner so recommending that for new/edited
comments seem like a good way to reduce churn.

Looking at line 1 comments for fun shows pretty strong consistency:

1611 /*-------------------------------------------------------------------------

plpy_util.h being the only one that sticks out.

--
Daniel Gustafsson