Re: BUG #17550: inet type doesn't accept alternate notations of ipv4 addresses

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17550: inet type doesn't accept alternate notations of ipv4 addresses
Date: 2022-07-14 18:24:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I don't see it as unreasonable to claim the lack of documentation regarding
> known alternative representations that could be accepted as input is a
> bug. The actual report isn't even asking for us to implement acceptance of
> those formats, just make it clear when someone gets that error and checks
> the docs that the error is valid.

Yeah. I'm disinclined to loosen the input syntax rules, but the docs
could stand improvement I think. Particularly since there are no
concrete examples in

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-net-types.html#DATATYPE-INET

but there are in the following section about CIDR --- and that type
*does* allow some forms of abbreviation. It would not be unreasonable
to assume that INET does too.