Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit
Date: 2001-10-23 02:32:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> I think Hiroshi's point is the same as mine: discussions of feature
> changes need to happen on -hackers before being implemented.

Well, IIRC there *was* some discussion about this some months back, and
no one particularly objected to changing it to be compatible with MySQL.
That's why Bruce felt free to execute on the TODO item despite being
so close to beta.

> Subscriptions to other mailing lists should not be required to stay up
> with mainstream development issues.

Actually, the reason we have an argument now is the other way around:
some non-hackers people complained when the change notice went by.
We do have an obligation to users who don't read -hackers.

Given the amount of noise being raised on the issue now, I think the
better part of valor is to revert to the 7.1 behavior and plan to
discuss it again for 7.3. But it's not like Bruce did this with no
warning or discussion.