Re: Git sources doesn't contain the INSATLL file?

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: tison <wander4096(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Git sources doesn't contain the INSATLL file?
Date: 2023-04-06 20:21:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 6 Apr 2023, at 22:13, tison <wander4096(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Hi Hackers,
>
> I opened https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=tree and clone the repo. The README file says that I can read the INSTALL file to understand how to build from source. But there is no such file in Git sources. Is it expected? If so, why?

it's very expected, the README.git file contains:

"In a release or snapshot tarball of PostgreSQL, a documentation file
named INSTALL will appear in this directory. However, this file is not
stored in git and so will not be present if you are using a git
checkout."

The INSTALL file was removed in 54d314c93c0baf5d3bd303d206d8ab9f58be1c37 a long
time ago.

That being said, maybe README should have wording along the lines of the above
since it's now referring to a file which might not exist?

--
Daniel Gustafsson