Re: Fwd: Core dump with nested CREATE TEMP TABLE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Core dump with nested CREATE TEMP TABLE
Date: 2015-09-04 17:41:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> After review of all the callers of RelationClearRelation, it seems like
>> most of them already have sufficient guards to prevent triggering of the
>> Assert. The ones that lack such tests are AtEOXact_cleanup and
>> AtEOSubXact_cleanup. So what I'm now thinking is that those should do
>> something along the lines of

> Specifically, this, which can be shown to mitigate the results of the
> problem cases in an otherwise-unpatched build.

And pushed. I noticed that while the relcache.c fix mitigates the error
pretty well in 9.3 and up, in the older branches you still end up with
a PANIC due to error stack overflow. This may indicate that there's
some patch we'd have been better off back-porting. However, with the
Portal changes in place the test cases work in all branches, so I'm
not excited enough to pursue the point further myself.