Re: Getting rid of pre-assignment of index names in CREATE TABLE LIKE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting rid of pre-assignment of index names in CREATE TABLE LIKE
Date: 2012-07-15 15:49:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I would like to sneak this fix into 9.2, though. Does anyone think
>> it's already too late to be touching these APIs for 9.2?

> I'd like us to stick to the standard practice of not changing features/API
> in beta releases.

This is a bug fix, not a feature addition, and sometimes you can't fix
bugs without touching APIs that might be used by third party code.
So the question here is whether this bug fix is sufficiently important,
and on the other side how likely it is that anyone has already built
extensions for 9.2 that depend on IndexStmt or DefineIndex. I don't
think trying to treat it as a "policy" matter is helpful -- it's a
tradeoff.

If you happen to know of EDB-private code that would be broken by
this change, telling us so (and why a mid-beta change would be
problematic) would be helpful.