Re: [GENERAL] index vs. seq scan choice?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: George Pavlov <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] index vs. seq scan choice?
Date: 2007-05-25 02:45:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> (The default statistics target is 10, which is widely considered too
>> low --- you might find 100 more suitable.)

> Does this mean that we should look into raising the default a bit?

Probably ... the question is to what.

The default of 10 was chosen in our usual spirit of conservatism ---
and IIRC it was replacing code that tracked only *one* most common
value, so it was already a factor of 10 better (and more expensive)
than what was there before. But subsequent history suggests it's
too small. I'm not sure I want to vote for another 10x increase by
default, though.

--ELM1205260229-7949-1_--