Re: Very confusing installcheck behavior with PGXS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Very confusing installcheck behavior with PGXS
Date: 2016-01-07 15:56:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> writes:
> On 1/7/16 9:12 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> (I'm also wondering how convert_sourcefiles() works at all in a vpath
>> build, considering that I don't see it doing anything like this ...)

> It's only looking at outputdir, which I suspect is never ambiguous.

Eh, no, look again. What it's actually doing is reading $inputdir/input/
and converting into $outputdir/sql/, and reading $inputdir/output/ and
converting into $outputdir/expected/. I guess that works, but again it's
kind of at variance with the normal expectation of VPATH behavior. What
you'd expect is that $builddir/input files would override $srcdir/input
files; but as is, $builddir/input and $builddir/output are never examined
at all.