Re: Generalizing SortSupport for text to work with char(n), bytea, and alternative opclasses

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Generalizing SortSupport for text to work with char(n), bytea, and alternative opclasses
Date: 2016-01-07 15:41:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> We lack SortSupport for many character-like-type cases. In full, the
> cases within the core system are:

You're stealthily introducing a new abstraction called "string",
including a typedef and DatumGetString support macros. Is that really
necessary? Shouldn't it be discussed specifically? I don't necessarily
oppose it as is, mainly because it's limited to within varlena.c for
now, but I'm not sure it'd okay to make it more public.

Also, there's a lot of churn in this patch to just remove tss to sss.
Can't we just keep the original variable name?