Re: Remove references to pre-11 versions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove references to pre-11 versions
Date: 2023-04-19 13:58:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
> I've attached a patch that removes some now redundant messaging about
> unsupported versions.

If we want to make that a policy, I think a lot more could be done
--- I remember noticing a documentation comment about some 8.x
version just recently.

However, "out of support" is a lot different from "nobody has any
code written for that version anymore". So I'd be inclined to keep
the first hunk in your patch, the one explaining the regexp_matches-
in-a-subselect trick. People will be trying to puzzle out why
somebody did it like that for years to come.

I agree with simplifying the other two spots.