Re: proposal: minscale, rtrim, btrim functions for numeric

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Subject: Re: proposal: minscale, rtrim, btrim functions for numeric
Date: 2019-11-09 20:34:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> four years ago Marko Tiikkaja send a patch for numeric_trim functions. This
> functions removed ending zeroes from numeric value. This is useful feature,
> but there was not any progress on this patch. I think so this feature can
> be interesting, so I would to revitalize this patch.

> Original discussion
> https://www.postgresql-archive.org/Add-numeric-trim-numeric-td5874444.html

A more useful link is
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/564D3ADB.7000808%40joh.to
and the earlier discussion is at
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5643125E.1030605%40joh.to

Re-reading that thread, I don't really think there's much support for
anything beyond the minscale() function. The rest are just inviting
confusion with string-related functions. And I really don't like
establishing a precedent that btrim() and rtrim() are the same.