Re: [HACKERS] I've got it, now should I commit it?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] I've got it, now should I commit it?
Date: 1999-05-19 04:06:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> A note for anyone testing the new code: the hashtable size (which is now
>> a target estimate, not a hard limit) is now driven by the postmaster's
>> -S switch, not the -B switch.

> I see no documenation that -B was ever used for hash size.

Er, did I say anything about documentation?

The code *was* using NBuffers to size the hashtable, whether or not
that was ever documented anywhere except in the "hash table out of
memory. Use -B parameter to increase buffers" message. Now it uses
the SortMem variable.

I do have it on my to-do list to update the relevant documentation.
(Yo, Thomas: what's the deadline for 6.5 doco changes? I've got a bunch
of doc to-dos that I suspect I'd better get moving on...)