Re: Adding xreflable

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding xreflable
Date: 2020-05-26 11:41:41
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2020-05-22 18:45, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ugh, I see what you mean. I have read doc/src/sgml/README.links many
> times and still get confused. What you are saying is that if there is
> no xreflabel on a target, you can get the chapter/section via <xref> or
> specify text via <link>. But, if there is an xreflabel on the target,
> you can't get the chapter/section anymore --- you can only get the
> xreflabel via <xref>, or specify text via <link>, right?

I think that's right.

> I added 13 xreflabels in commits 85af628da5 and 75fcdd2ae2. What I am
> thinking of doing is to look at all references to the id's associated
> with those xreflabels and remove the xreflabel if the chapter/section
> is required, and if not, convert <link> to <xref> where the link text
> matches the xreflabel. Does that sound like a good plan?

Both of those commits should be reverted.

I don't quite understand your plan, but if you mean, check whether
anyone else links to the id in question, that doesn't sound sustainable.
A new link could be added at any time in the future.

I think the release notes should either just use a plain <xref> to link
and use whatever generated text it gets, or if you don't like that, use
<link>. Which is basically what it was before, IIRC.