Re: Adding xreflable

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding xreflable
Date: 2020-05-22 16:45:18
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 12:09:18PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2020-05-15 18:47, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Done. Thanks for the tips.
>
> This doesn't seem right. By adding xreflabels you are changing the
> appearance for all links pointing to the target, not only from the release
> notes. For example, if you now do
>
> see <xref linkend="vacuum-basics"/> and <xref linkend="autovacuum"/>
>
> which are both sect2s in the same chapter, then you get a rendered text of
>
> see Section 24.1.1 and autovacuum
>
> which is bizarre.
>
> If you want the link appearance to change only in the release notes, then
> the right approach is to use the <link> tag, as was done before.

Ugh, I see what you mean. I have read doc/src/sgml/README.links many
times and still get confused. What you are saying is that if there is
no xreflabel on a target, you can get the chapter/section via <xref> or
specify text via <link>. But, if there is an xreflabel on the target,
you can't get the chapter/section anymore --- you can only get the
xreflabel via <xref>, or specify text via <link>, right?

I added 13 xreflabels in commits 85af628da5 and 75fcdd2ae2. What I am
thinking of doing is to look at all references to the id's associated
with those xreflabels and remove the xreflabel if the chapter/section
is required, and if not, convert <link> to <xref> where the link text
matches the xreflabel. Does that sound like a good plan?

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +