Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Koval <d(dot)koval(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Date: 2024-04-08 12:00:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Tender Wang,

08.04.2024 13:43, Tender Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I went through the MERGE/SPLIT partition codes today, thanks for the works.  I found some grammar errors:
>  i. in error messages(Users can see this grammar errors, not friendly).
> ii. in codes comments

On a quick glance, I saw also:
NULL-value
partitionde
splited
temparary

And a trailing whitespace at:
     the quarter partition back to monthly partitions:
warning: 1 line adds whitespace errors.

I'm also confused by "administrators" here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/ddl-partitioning.html

(We can find on the same page, for instance:
... whereas table inheritance allows data to be divided in a manner of
the user's choosing.
It seems to me, that "users" should work for merging partitions as well.)

Though the documentation addition requires more than just a quick glance,
of course.

Best regards,
Alexander