Re: WIP: CoC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: CoC
Date: 2016-01-12 06:20:57
Lists: pgsql-general

[ just a few comments on specific points ]

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>> 2. The CoC is not about being offended. The act of being offended is
>> purely a recipient response and usually the offended individual is more
>> interested in being a victim than moving forward.

> Too defensive; not needed in the code of conduct.

Agreed, let's avoid defensiveness here. There's not much advantage to
this whole exercise unless we can be welcoming rather than dismissive.

>> 4. Any sustained disruption of the collaborative space (mailing lists,
>> IRC etc..) or other PostgreSQL events shall be construed as a violation
>> of the CoC and appropriate action will be taken by the CoC committee.

> Too specific, covered by #1. Also, no definition of "CoC committee".

If the CoC is to mean anything at all, there will have to be some sort
of enforcement mechanism. But I suggest strongly that we leave that out
of consideration for now, and focus just on what the conduct expectations
are.

[ FWIW, the core committee has always understood that part of our mandate
was disciplinary actions if it came to that. It mostly hasn't; but if
a CoC becomes reality, the natural thing would be that it would fall to
core to enforce it. ]

>> 5. The CoC is only about interaction with the PostgreSQL community. Your
>> private and public lives outside of the PostgreSQL community are your own.

> Needed? I know part of a code of conduct is stating the obvious, but...

The Opal situation that was mentioned upthread seemed to me to be
interesting in part because there was a question of whether a person
was acting, outside the Opal community, in a way that others might take
to represent that community. (I'm not stating that as fact, just saying
that there was a suggestion of it.) I do not know where to draw those
lines exactly, and I'm not sure that drawing a bright line is feasible.
But it's a lot easier to say "your public life is your own" when you
are not a well-known member of a community. When you are, well, your
public persona is partly intertwined with that community, and you can't
just turn that connection on and off.