Re: logging problem ... ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logging problem ... ?
Date: 2000-05-08 17:23:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> cat ~pgsql/pgstart ... postmaster's own debug output? ya know, for some
> stupid reason, the only thing i'm capturing is postgres's output :( I
> just modified the pgstart script and restarted the server, so postmaster's
> output is to logs/postmaster.5432 ...

Oh, I see the problem! It's the -S in the postmaster switches:

${POSTMASTER} -d 1 -B 4096 -N 128 -S \
^^

That redirects postmaster's stdout/stderr to /dev/null, so you never
see anything in its log except for a message or two that comes out
before -S is processed. Instead of -S you should be using

nohup ${POSTMASTER} same-switches-except-S \
</dev/null >& logs/postmaster.${PORT} &

(I'm not sure if redirecting stdin to /dev/null is really necessary on
your OS, but it is on mine.)