Re: Notify enhancement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Notify enhancement
Date: 2006-12-18 20:33:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I just wondered idly if we could piggyback on the existing
> WAKEN_CHILDREN/SIGUSR1 mechanism?

I'd be inclined to keep it separate. There isn't currently any benefit
to merging them, and I think it would convolute the code. In particular
I'm not convinced that we want to do both sorts of cleanups at the same
times.

That's not to say that we might not want to use the postmaster as an
intermediary, but I'd still want it to be a separate signal.