Re: Index order

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index order
Date: 2008-09-16 13:26:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> I was just wondering if there's any way to tweak the way an an index is ordered on a text field?

> I have a table with a varchar field "artist" (see table def below),
and if I order by the field "artist" it does not order as expected when
there are characters such as ^ at the start of the text.

You didn't say what you consider "expected", but I suspect that the
answer is you want to use a different locale setting ... probably C.
Unfortunately there's currently no way to change that short of initdb.