Re: pgsql: Clean up after TAP tests in oid2name and vacuumlo.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Clean up after TAP tests in oid2name and vacuumlo.
Date: 2018-09-04 19:16:55
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> Okay, I don't want to create a dependency between REGRESS and
> HAVE_TAP_TESTS either, but modules specifying both should be able to
> trigger both regressions and tap tests.

Agreed ...

> So I would be inclined to
> create two new rules, say check-regress and installcheck-regress, which
> are invoked if check is called, and trigger pg_regress stuff. Then add
> on top of it the existing prove-check and prove-installcheck. What do
> you think? check and installcheck become this way the centralized place
> for all types of test suites.

Why would we invent a different target name? I was thinking something
roughly like

check: submake $(REGRESS_PREP)
ifdef REGRESS
$(pg_regress_check) $(REGRESS_OPTS) $(REGRESS)
endif
ifdef TAP_TESTS
$(prove_check)
endif

although getting it to print a useful response when neither symbol
is set would require complicating things a bit. Still, as long as
there's just one copy of this rule, messiness isn't a big problem.