Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date: 2008-07-25 17:26:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 09:37 +0300, Asko Oja wrote:
>>> createlang plproxy mydb
>>>
>>> If we can achieve this without putting plproxy into core then i would
>>> like to hear how.

> Sounds like you just need to get a new row in the standard pg_pltemplate.

When pg_pltemplate was first proposed, we discussed including entries in
its standard contents for all the known non-core PLs. I forget the
arguments that were made against that, but I still think it'd be a good
idea. It'd save one step in installing a non-core PL, and the entries
couldn't cause any harm, since they'd be useless unless the admin had
actually installed the corresponding .so into the installation's
$libdir.