Re: Outstanding patches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Outstanding patches
Date: 2002-11-07 18:44:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:27:05AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> CLUSTER ALL patch: I have a problem with this, specifically the fact
>> that it changes CLUSTER into a multi-transaction operation.

> That was your suggestion...

Well, it'd be okay (IMHO anyway) if it only happened for CLUSTER ALL.
You've built it in a way that the restriction applies to single-table
CLUSTERs, which is an unnecessary step backwards.

What I think I'd like to see is

CLUSTER index ON table -- does not hack transactions
CLUSTER table -- recluster a table, does not hack transactions
CLUSTER -- recluster all tables, works like VACUUM

This would allow people to build functions that do selective CLUSTERing,
at the price of holding more exclusive locks.