Re: tzcode update

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Bjorn Munch <Bjorn(dot)Munch(at)sun(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tzcode update
Date: 2008-02-18 19:22:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 04:32:58PM +0100, Bjorn Munch wrote:
>> Ouch! This fails on our Solaris builds, because we build with the
>> Solaris timezone files. And these apparently don't work beyond 2038
>> and don't know that Finland plans to have DST also in the summer of
>> 2050...
>>
>> I haven't studied this in depth but I'm afraid the answer is "fix your
>> own timezone files"?

> Or use the ones shipping with pg ;-)

Yeah. I included the far-future cases in the committed patch
specifically to make it obvious if you were using tz files that lacked
post-2038 support.

I can't imagine that fixing this isn't pretty darn high on the Solaris
to-do list, anyway. Financial apps doing, say, 30-year mortgage
projections are broken *today* on platforms without post-Y2038 calendar
support.