Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add parallelism and glibc dependent only options to reindexdb
Date: 2019-07-22 15:57:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2019-Jul-22, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Can we use List for this instead?

>> Isn't that for backend code only?

> Well, we already have palloc() on the frontend side, and list.c doesn't
> have any elog()/ereport(), so it should be possible to use it ... I do
> see that it uses MemoryContextAlloc() in a few places. Maybe we can
> just #define that to palloc()?

I'm not happy about either the idea of pulling all of list.c into
frontend programs, or restricting it to be frontend-safe. That's
very fundamental infrastructure and I don't want it laboring under
such a restriction. Furthermore, List usage generally leaks memory
like mad (cf nearby list_concat discussion) which doesn't seem like
something we want for frontend code.