Re: Proposal: revert behavior of IS NULL on row types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: revert behavior of IS NULL on row types
Date: 2016-07-27 01:31:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 7/26/16 7:46 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> By the way, our documentation says that NOT NULL constraints are
>> equivalent to CHECK (column_name IS NOT NULL). That is what the SQL
>> standard says, but in fact our NOT NULL constraints are equivalent to
>> CHECK (column_name IS DISTINCT FROM NULL). Should we update the
>> documentation with something like the attached?

> Couldn't we just fix that instead? For NOT NULL constraints on
> composite type columns, create a full CHECK (column_name IS NOT NULL)
> constraint instead, foregoing the attnotnull optimization.

Maybe. There's a patch floating around that expands attnotnull into
CHECK constraints, which'd provide the infrastructure needed to consider
changing this behavior. But that's not going to be back-patchable, and
as I noted in <10682(dot)1469566308(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, we have a problem right
now that the planner's constraint exclusion logic gets these semantics
wrong.