Re: Posix Shared Mem patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Posix Shared Mem patch
Date: 2012-06-29 18:14:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> 10% isn't assuming dedicated.

>> Really?

> Yes. As I said, the allocation for dedicated PostgreSQL servers is
> usually 20% to 25%, up to 8GB.

Any percentage is assuming dedicated, IMO. 25% might be the more common
number, but you're still assuming that you can have your pick of the
machine's resources.

My idea of "not dedicated" is "I can launch a dozen postmasters on this
machine, and other services too, and it'll be okay as long as they're
not doing too much".