Re: Encoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Anders R(dot) Sveen" <anderssv(at)stud(dot)ntnu(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encoding
Date: 2000-11-14 16:32:58
Lists: pgsql-general

"Anders R. Sveen" <anderssv(at)stud(dot)ntnu(dot)no> writes:
> I'm building a database containing ranges of characters. That means i'm
> supposed to check if t.ex. 'Sveen' is between 'Sv' and 'R'. This works ok
> for non norwegian characters, but when these show up the results are
> wrong. ( if anyone can see them)

Offhand I think you need a suitable LOCALE setting, not an encoding.
The encoding stuff is for multibyte character sets --- which is mostly
Asian languages, not European. For Norwegian you don't need 16-bit
characters, you just need to set the collation order of 8-bit chars.

BTW: one thing to beware of when using LOCALE is that you've gotta be
careful to start the postmaster with the same LOCALE environment
variables every time for a given database. Otherwise, the
LOCALE-dependent sort order of your indexes gets messed up, and things
start to behave very strangely ...