Re: Fwd: PostgreSQL: WolfSSL support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Felix Lechner <felix(dot)lechner(at)lease-up(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: PostgreSQL: WolfSSL support
Date: 2020-06-28 17:21:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Felix Lechner <felix(dot)lechner(at)lease-up(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 7:56 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> However, judging from the caveats mentioned in the initial message,
>> my inclination would be to wait awhile for wolfSSL to mature.

> Please have a closer look. The library has been around since 2004 and
> is popular in embedded systems. (It was previously known as cyaSSL.)

I don't really care where else it's used. If we have to hack the source
code before we can use it, it's not mature for our purposes. Even when
(if) that requirement reduces to "you have to use the latest bleeding
edge release", it'll be problematic for people whose platforms supply
a less bleeding edge version. I was signifying a desire to wait until
compatible versions are reasonably common in the wild before we spend
much time on this.