Re: Extending varlena

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extending varlena
Date: 2008-08-20 13:01:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> If you replace the third point by "maybe partition TOAST tables", replace
>> large object handle by TOAST pointer, and create an API to work on TOAST
>> pointers, how are the two so much different? And why should they be?

The reason they should be different is that (IMHO anyway) you don't want
the default behavior of SELECT * FROM ... to include pulling back the
entire contents of the blob. Indeed, we *can't* have that be the
behavior, unless we want to go back to the proposal that started this
thread of making the entire system safe for multi-gigabyte datums.

It's certainly possible that the underlying implementation could be
just TOAST, but we need some other API at the SQL level.