Re: Documentation Update: Document pg_start_backup checkpoint behavior

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Renner <michael(dot)renner(at)amd(dot)co(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation Update: Document pg_start_backup checkpoint behavior
Date: 2009-04-03 13:25:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> + ereport(NOTICE,
>> + (errmsg("performing checkpoint")));

> You've *got* to be kidding.

Sigh. I have to apologize for that over-hasty complaint: I misread
where you intended to put the message. (Seems like there is too
much stuff in xlog.c that executes in too many different contexts.
Maybe we could split it up sometime.)

Still, I don't much like this solution. I agree with Heikki:
let's just fix it.