Re: WAL file compatibility

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Radamanthus Batnag <rad(dot)batnag(at)devex(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL file compatibility
Date: 2009-10-20 14:25:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Radamanthus Batnag <rad(dot)batnag(at)devex(dot)com> writes:
> I have a PostgreSQL production server running on CentOS (compiled from
> source), and I'm planning to setup a hot standby database on another
> server, running on Ubuntu (default Ubuntu binaries).

> The production server is running on 8.3.5, and the planned Ubuntu hot
> standby is running on 8.3.x. Can I use the production WAL files on the
> Ubuntu standby without problems?

The source and destination servers have to be the same major PG release,
same architecture (no 32-bit vs 64-bit for instance), and built with the
same configure options. OS per se shouldn't matter, but you could
easily get burnt on configure options if you use binaries obtained from
different packagers. Compare pg_config output or check the fields
listed by pg_controldata.