Re: Moving data from one set of tables to another?

From: "Sean Davis" <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: howard(at)yankeescientific(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving data from one set of tables to another?
Date: 2008-09-19 07:55:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Howard Eglowstein
<howard(at)yankeescientific(dot)com> wrote:
> What confuses me is that I need to do the one select with all three tables
> and then do three inserts, no? The results is that the 150 fields I get back
> from the select have to be split into 3 groups of 50 fields each and then
> written into three tables.

You do the insert part of the command three times, once for each new
table, so three separate SQL statements. The select remains basically
the same for all three, with only the column selection changing
(data_a.* when inserting into new_a, data_b.* when inserting into
new_b, etc.). Just leave the ids the same as in the first set of
tables. There isn't a need to change them in nearly every case. If
you need to add a new ID column, you can do that as a serial column in
the new tables, but I would stick to the original IDs, if possible.

Sean