Re: How do create a user with a bashscript

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do create a user with a bashscript
Date: 2008-09-19 08:59:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

A B <gentosaker(at)gmail(dot)com> schrieb:

> Hi.
> I want to create a user with the createuser command and supply the
> password at the command line in a script, like this
>
> #!/bin/bash
> createuser myuser
>
> but I want to supply a password on the command line, is that possible?
> The docs tells me no, but does anyone know of a workaround?

Maybe with expect(1):

NAME
expect - programmed dialogue with interactive programs, Version 5

SYNOPSIS
expect [ -dDinN ] [ -c cmds ] [ [ -[f|b] ] cmdfile ] [ args ]

INTRODUCTION
Expect is a program that "talks" to other interactive programs according to a script. Following the script, Expect knows what can be expected
from a program and what the correct response should be. An interpreted language provides branching and high-level control structures to direct
the dialogue. In addition, the user can take control and interact directly when desired, afterward returning control to the script.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°