Re: Indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
Cc: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes
Date: 2003-01-16 19:13:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> mlw said:
>>> Does anyone think it would be a good idea, or is it even practical, to
>>> have a 'indx' subdirectory along side of the 'base' directory?
>>>
>>> I was thinking that, if it were an easy modification, that it could be
>>> an easy way to separate data and indexes to different hard disks.

This and other quick hacks have been discussed before. I think the
consensus has been to do nothing until someone gets around to writing
a general-purpose tablespace implementation.

FWIW, I don't think it would be an easy modification. The low-level
file access code doesn't even know whether a given relation is an index
or not (... and I don't think it should know). By the time you get done
implementing something reasonable at that level, you've got the
infrastructure you need for tablespaces.