Re: Indexes

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes
Date: 2003-01-16 18:41:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>>mlw said:
> Does anyone think it would be a good idea, or is it even practical, to
> have a 'indx' subdirectory along side of the 'base' directory?
>
> I was thinking that, if it were an easy modification, that it could be
> an easy way to separate data and indexes to different hard disks.

My guess is that having indexes at separate location on a per-databases basis would give greater benefit. Perhaps this could be extended to all databases as well, but per-database location should be better?

Or do you think of something like data/base/xxxxx/indx where xxxxx is the database oid.

Daniel